4.21.2011

Can I Have Yo Numba? No.

Even worse than wishing you had somebody's phone number is the feeling of anticipation and potential rejection that comes when you know someone has your phone number and you wish they'd text you. That total anxiety, sending all your mental power into channeling thoughts that are sent directly to them telling them to text you. When you know someone has your phone number in their contacts, you don't even necessarily want something grandoise to come out of it, you just want a simple "hey, whats up."
This is why I've always found it's better to have someone else's number. Except for sending the not-so-occasional drunk text, this has potential to work out well. The antithesis to the problem of wanting someone to text you, the best thing ever is when someone gives you their number and tells you to text them, then when you don't, the next time they see you they say something like "Oh hey, why didn't you text me this weekend?" Can you say "ball's in my court"?
As I sit here typing, thinking about the time the hot guy from lecture said that very "why didn't you text me this weekend?" after getting his number, I'm absolutely rue-ing the day when I texted him asking what the homework was (I had already done the homework) just so that he'd have my number in his phone, with the hope that he'd text me that upcoming weekend. But on this thursday night, I sit anxiously by my phone, waiting for a text from him, sending positive energy to Verizon and also his hormones, waiting for a text from him, summoning every ancient God we learned about in our mythology lecture, still waiting for that text from him.
But it's not as if I said "text me this weekend, I would like to satisfy some urges with you," or even something normal like "yeah, text me if your frat has a party tonight," it was him who said "I'll text you if I go out tonight." I didn't prompt that statement and I didn't for a reason! That reason being it's driving me fucking crazy to see my phone with no new texts! Twenty minutes ago, my phone rang and I almost busted a proverbial nut, only to see that it was my mom calling! And then she had the nerve to ask why I sounded so erratic on the phone!
The potential teenage romance looming inside the lecture hall is not worth my current state of stress. I'm not giving out my phone number anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment