5.29.2011

I Was Like, Why Am I So Obsessed With You?

After any hook up I've ever had, I've found it impossible not to obsess over it the entire next day (or in some cases, the entire next year.) Regardless of whether the hook up was good or bad, I can't help but look at the person's facebook the next day, and even jump whenever my phone vibrates thinking that it could be a text from them. For some reason, any sexual encounter I have gives me a case of obsession. Obsessing is like Herpes; you contract it from sexual activity and while there's no cure for it, you can lead a perfectly healthy life only having to deal with the occasional outbreak.
But what triggers outbreaks can vary from an actual hook up to just a brief encounter with someone you've had feelings for. Just when I thought I'd dealt with every obsession-worthy encounter Saturday night, this Sunday morning brought on an obsessive event all it's own. I was roused from my sleep at 9:30 a.m. by a phone call from a guy I'd hooked up with a few times in the past couple weekends but hadn't seen out the night before. In all of five seconds I went from being engulfed in a deep sleep to painfully awake with my heart pounding in my throat. What could he possibly want? I was dying to know what he was calling me about, but at the same time I couldn't muster up the courage to answer the phone. It's probably a butt-dial, Taylor. Don't overthink it. I silenced the ringer and crawled back into my bed. In attempt to go back to sleep, I shut my eyes, but both my mind and my heart were racing. But why would he call me and not just text me? Maybe he had something important to tell me. And is it even possible to be butt-dialed at 9:30 on a Sunday morning? Because I don't think people are conscious and moving around enough to make Sunday mornings a plausible butt-dialing time. I was having an obsession outbreak, and so it goes that for the next three hours I laid in bed, wide awake, contemplating every possible reason for why this guy would be calling me at 9:30 on a Sunday morning.
But if obsessing is an STD, is it contagious? Is it possible that while I'm still sitting here wondering why he called me six hours after my phone rang this morning, he's sitting around wondering why I didn't answer his call or even why I haven't tried to call him back? Or can some people be immune to obsessing? When you have a sexual encounter with someone, is it possible to never think about it after the fact? A part of me almost wishes my sexually transmitted obsession was a viral problem, and not a mental one. For Herpes, you pick up an antiviral prescription from your local pharmacy. But for obsession, the most you can do to treat it is pick up an issue of Cosmo and pray the answer to your questions lies in one of the articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment